you are visitor number

Sunday, September 20, 2009

My 1972 Ice Cream Bible

The Great American Ice Cream book by Paul Dickson is my ice cream bible and probably one of the best used bookstore purchases I've ever made ($2 at the Iliad in North Hollywood in case you were wondering). As I make my way, slowly but surely (because I'm also reading the Johnny Cash Autobiography, The Who Sell Out by John Dougan and Lessons of a Lipstick Queen by Poppy King at the same time), through this massive text there are bound to be quotes from it and musings inspired by it along the way. To kick it off I'll start with the quote at the very beginning of the book, before you even hit the table of contents! that sounds like a line from some trippy Belle & Sebastian or Neutral Milk Hotel song.

"The only emperor is the emperor of ice cream." - Wallace Stevens

Ponder that.

No comments: